[ale] Averatec - Dell LCD's

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Tue Jan 24 16:39:25 EST 2006

Christopher Fowler wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 16:28 -0500, Pat Regan wrote:
>>
>> I bought one of the 19 inch Dell LCDs for my father last year.  It is
>> very nice display.  I've seen 4-5 different model 19 inch panels that
>> friends/family have bought recently.  To tell you the truth they all
>> looked really good, but the Dell was nicer overall.  This Dell let you
>> adjust the height by something like 7 inches, and you could rotate it
>> 90
>> degrees.
>
> What do you mean 90 degrees.  Yuo could make it go in "portrait" mode?
> How is that configured in Linux?

Yes, you can use it in portrait mode (3:4 instead of 4:3).  How you
configure it would probably depend on your video card.  I have never
done it, but I have seen than xrandr has an option for rotating the
screen (it fails to work on any of my machine, I assume the
drivers/cards I have don't support it).

I have been thinking about replacing my old pair of 15 inch LCDs
(1024x768) with 2 of those 20 inch Dell panels rotated 90 degrees
(1050x1680).  It would be about 4x the screen real estate I have now,
and could nearly be divided into 4 4:3 areas.

Pat