[ale] sync desktop and OS X laptop?

Michael Solberg msolberg at aiscomputers.com
Tue Jan 24 10:44:17 EST 2006

> Does anybody have an idea how to do a windows style briefcase setup
> for a Mac laptop and Ubuntu desktop.
>
> It would be similar to syncing a PDA I guess.
>
> I would like to make my /home/mark on Ubuntu and /Users/Mark on OSX
> sync up over ethernet so that all my email and the contents of my
> documents folders are mirrored.
>
> Any ideas?

Here's how I do it, Mark:

<snip>
#!/bin/sh

NEOHOME=/Users/misha
PBRHOME=pbr:/opt/home/misha

RSYNC='rsync -e ssh --size-only -rulptz --delete'

# Dirs to sync
for dir in Desktop Documents Library Movies Music Pictures Public Sites
Source
do
  #Sync the dirs
   echo "syncing $dir"
   ${RSYNC} ${NEOHOME}/${dir}/ ${PBRHOME}/${dir}
   ${RSYNC} ${PBRHOME}/${dir}/ ${NEOHOME}/${dir}
done
</snip>

Be careful with that --delete switch.  I'd run it with a --dry-run first.

Some notes on rsync on OS X are here:

http://www.afp548.com/article.php?story=20050219192044818

Thanks!

Michael.