[ale] Scanners

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Jan 24 10:35:54 EST 2006

Jim wrote:
> My old scanner has croaked.  It's a Mustek 600 III EP Plus.  Why you'd
> care, I don't know. :)  It's one of the parallel printer models.  It
> just isn't there any longer.  The software doesn't find it, Linux nor
> Windows so I need to get a new scanner, however it looks like the Linux
> drivers for scanners trail the market.  I can't find a current
> production scanner that Linux supports.
>
> Has anyone purchased a scanner recently that has a Linux driver
> available?  I'd sure like to not have to use Windows, besides I suspect
> the new scanners won't have drivers for Win98SE, which is the only thing
> I've got, if you don't count my laptop.  :)

I picked up an Epson 4990 pro recently, use it exclusively with Linux.
Very nice.  Supported out of the box by SuSE 9.3 and up.  You didn't
mention a price range, but this one is around $600.  You will want to
look at the standard 4990 as the only difference between the two is
extra windows software and $450 price tag for the standard 4990.  I got
the pro before I knew the standard one was out there. :(  Here's are the
  links if you want to check out the epson website:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=49164280
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=49164281

I had originally picked up the 4490, but found out later that it is not
currently supported on Linux (inspite of the fact I found documentation
indicating that it was).  Note the difference in the model #s, it's
close, so don't get the wrong one.  The 4490 is around $250.

What distro do you plan to use it with?  I've got a couple running here
and could connect it to a different box to give you the warm and fuzzy
if you'd like.

--
Until later, Geoffrey