[ale] OT easy html editor

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Jan 24 10:21:47 EST 2006

George Carless wrote:
>>>This is never more
>>>obvious than being in a school loaded with 800 x 600 monitors trying to
>>>view a page written by someone who has a nice, sparkling 19" 1280 x 960
>>>monitor and loves to use the full width- "Well, it looks fine on my
>>>computer." - while the rest of us are scrolling right to see what was
>>>hidden.
>>
>>This, is a lousy developer.  Unless you can code your page so that it
>>will be reasonably presented at a minimum of 800x600, as well as your
>>1280x960, you should code for the minimum.  I've got a 21 and 22 inch
>>monitor side by side, but I still view websites with a browser window
>>that's 800x600.  I'd say 50% of the websites I view don't fit that size
>>window.  That's not a problem for me, but what about the girl who's got
>>the 14-15 monitor?  There are still plenty of them out there.  What
>>about those mini laptops?  Sure some of them will go to 1280x960, but
>>then you need a magnifying glass to read the bloody page.
>

> The converse is also true, though: it's a pain in the neck to have a Web
> site that loads in what amounts to a small window in the size of a large
> screen.  There is a debate, generally, between 'fixed' and 'fluid'
> designs for the Web - where fluid designs generally resize according to
> window size.  The problem with these is that from a design perspective
> they have their own problems; it's quite difficult for anything but the
> most basic task to achieve a design that resizes elegantly to different
> screen resolutions etc. but that still follows other design/usability
> guidelines such as the number of words on a line, etc.  Some developers
> go for a hybrid model where certain elements of a page are fixed, while
> others are fluid.  Until recently I was a staunch advocate of the fluid
> width approach, but I've recently found that fixed width designs have a
> number of advantages in terms of ease of placement and clarity of design
> that in certain cases outweight the disadvantages.  As is often the case
> with these things, there is a balance to be achieved--a balance that
> needs to consider such things as likely audience of the site, etc.  And,
> to play devil's advocate, there may be a point for many developers where
> a decision has to be made as to whom to support: I'm damned if I'm going
> to worry about someone who's still at 640x480, for example, and even
> 800x600 seems rather idiosyncratic in this day and age.

I pretty much agree with your whole premise, with the exception of the
800x600 issue.  I won't code for 640x480, but if you take a good look
around, most small businesses and schools have, for the most part a 15"
monitor.  Laptops are getting larger, but again most companies don't go
beyond 14-15 there as well.  Although I love my 16" Sony Vaio, sometimes
I wish it had wheels...

--
Until later, Geoffrey