[ale] motherboard RAID versus software RAID

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Sat Jan 21 11:10:59 EST 2006

Source Control (subversion or cvs) will take care of oops moments when you
have to turn back time ... that or backups.  RAID is for increasing the
reliability of hard drives.

I would strongly suggest folks stay away from the poor man's RAID - mainly
onboard Promise controllers that run it through the BIOS and suck up system
resources.  I think that some cards do this also.  I would suggest using
3Ware or LSI cards if you really want to keep the data around.  OpenBSD now
fully supports the LSI cards and 3Ware supports Linux just fine.  I really
like their web control / information app.  I have used software RAID (5)
fine for a long time at home on Debian until an upgrade broke some things.

Greg