[ale] Wine

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Jan 20 11:25:28 EST 2006

docx at io.com wrote:
> On Fri, January 20, 2006 2:27 pm, Geoffrey said:
>
>>I write perfect software all the time.  It always does exactly what I
>>code it to do.
>

> There are those who don't write code.  They buy code other folks have written.
>  Does your code do exactly what someone else wants it to?

Eventually..

>>The interesting thing I find about all this is that most open source
>>betas are as stable or more then their commercial alternatives.  A very
>>good example is Linux.  For the longest time I was running the
>>development kernel tree.   I rarely had any problems.  Windows on the
>>other hand....
>
> Windows is something that many people are familiar with and does things "well
> enough".  They don't have to edit config files, get system information from
> arcane command line programs, or do anything besides point and click (and
> possibly download updates and install them, but folks are used to that by
> now).

Let's not turn this into a windows/Linux debate okay?  But, what you've
said might have applied 5-10 years ago, not now.  There are a number of
Linux distros that are point and click.  My daughter installed her own,
my mother-in-law is on SuSE 10.1 and has been on SuSE since 7.3.

You need to update your knowledgebase.

> For geeks (and I number among that fold), getting Linux (and most any unix,
> for that matter) to do what we want is easy.  For Aunt May and Uncle Bob, it
> ain't that easy.  And when you're writing software targeted at replacing the
> operating system that Aunt May and Uncle Bob use, it better be as rock solid
> as possible, because the first couple of errors they run intow ill make them
> wonder "What the heck am I doing running this crap?  Let me just have my old
> computer back.  That worked."  It's not that they're getting more errors,
> necessarily, but that they're getting different errors they don't know how to
> work around.

Again, you post might have been accurate 10 years ago, not now.

--
Until later, Geoffrey