[ale] Wine

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Jan 20 09:27:16 EST 2006

Christopher Fowler wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 09:09 -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:
>
>>they are also working on updating Wine...
>>

> Crazy question.  Is there _any_ other program that could be the longest
> program in history to be in Beta mode?  I played with Wine in 1995 and
> it still was in beta mode then.  <flamebait>At some point you have to
> simply just say its good enough for release.  No software product will
> ever be perfect</flamebait>

I write perfect software all the time.  It always does exactly what I
code it to do.

The Enlightenment window manager might be another.  I've been using if
for a long while.  I'm using E17 right now and I don't think E16 ever
made it out of beta. :)

The interesting thing I find about all this is that most open source
betas are as stable or more then their commercial alternatives.  A very
good example is Linux.  For the longest time I was running the
development kernel tree.   I rarely had any problems.  Windows on the
other hand....

--
Until later, Geoffrey