[ale] OT: Pranks are out

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Fri Jan 6 18:16:47 EST 2006

  At one time we had about 20 Noc staff, Tier one and Tier two network
support staff. Well I arranged to modify a couple commands on their
computers.  If they ran "ls" "cp" or some other basic commands it would
run "sl" in stead which runs an ascii train across your screen.  But
then it would replace the executed command with the real one immediately.
An at job would at a random time replace the binary again and reset
itself to run some random time later again.  They looked for us logging
into their machines and crons but they never looked for "at" jobs.
Took em a while to find it.

  One of my co-workers ran "xjitter" I believe it was but he had a week
or so in advance modified all their profiles to open xhost+ for his
workstation so he could remotely run the xjitter on his machine and for
some random durration, for a random "size of jitter" at a random repeat
level jitter their mice, a couple at a time, randomly.  About drove them
nuts.

Thus spake Christopher Fowler (cfowler at outpostsentinel.com):