[ale] wiki recommendations?

Stephen Cristol stephen at bee.net
Tue Jan 3 15:56:32 EST 2006

> I've decided that my home network needs a wiki for various things, and
> was trying to install MoinMoin with mod_python and Apache, but failed
> miserably.  Any recommendations for a easier wiki to install with
> Apache as the webserver?

I believe all the extremely easy to install wikis include their own
web server. This is what makes them easy--no concerns about stepping
on the configuration of something else. That said, I have to agree
with Greg's suggestion of instiki [1]. Its three step installation
instructions are:

    1. Download [2]
    2. Run "ruby instiki" with Ruby 1.8.2 or greater.
    3. Chuckle... There Is No Step Three! :)

I've been running MoinMoin under Mac OS X for over a year. On the
Mac, its installation is trivial which is why I chose it. While easy
installation is certainly something to consider, I would also give
serious thought to use. If your install is successful, you are likely
to spend far more time using the wiki and learning its markup language.

In that vein, Grady's suggestion of Doku-Wiki is very appealing. I
liked it because (compared to MoinMoin) it has a simpler syntax,
offers section editing (this is worth checking out), understands more
languages for syntax coloring, has a "GUIish" editor, and camelcase
linking is off by default. (In my notes, there is a vague warning
about security related to using a WebDAV for file management. This is
probably specific to my situation.)

MoinMoin has a "GUIish" editor in the 1.5 beta [3]. I am very much
looking forward to this because wiki markup is not a skill I see
value in fostering and tables are just a royal pain. If I was
starting over today, I would choose a wiki that either has a "GUIish"
editor or uses a standard markup syntax (like Textile [4] or Markdown
[5]).

Good luck,

Refs:

[1] http://instiki.org/