[ale] APC UPS and linux

Dow_Hurst dhurst at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 31 03:45:46 EST 2006

Trey,
apcupsd does have to be installed on each machine.  You will run the apcupsd as a server on the machine that has the UPS physically attached with the USB or serial cable.  Any other machines that are powered by the UPS will run as clients that talk over the local LAN to the apcupsd running as a server.  This is the network shutdown scenario.

Each physical UPS you have connected via serial or USB must have a completely separate server apcupsd installation if they all connect physically to the same machine.  I have a head node on a cluster that has two UPSes plugged in via USB.  I just modified the USB mapping to always identify the UPSes separately.  This lets you have more than one UPS controlled by a single machine running multiple apcupsd installations.  The install directory for apcupsd is a compile time directive via configure so you do have to compile from scratch to get this feature.

The clients are the simplest since you have a simple config file for them.  The apcupsd docs have examples of the config files and explain it all very well.  All you need for them is that they are hooked up via a LAN connection.  All the nodes in my cluster talk to the head node to find out every 60 secs if the power is okay or if they need to start shutting down.
Best wishes,
Dow