[ale] Monarch Computer

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Sat Dec 30 14:21:18 EST 2006

Dell makes decent hardware and the PowerEdge line does run RedHat.

Support from a hardware standpoint may be good.

However, support for Linux at Dell BITES even though they claim to do
that!

So far as I've determined there are exactly 3 people in the "Linux"
support area.  Their skill level leads me to believe they were promoted
from the Windows side rather than being actual Linux experts.  Most
issues I've talked to them about end up with something along the lines
of "boot from Windows and run the following Windows utility".   This
even occurred when THEY shipped a Linux fix and said it was important to
run it on their servers.  The thing didn't work and on pressing them
they told me to boot from Windows and run the Windows version.  The fact
THEY wrote the Linux thing didn't seem to make them feel responsible for
troubleshooting it.  Even once I figured out what was wrong with it and
just sought confirmation for the change to the script included in what
they shipped they simply just didn't bother returning my call.

If it were up to me we wouldn't buy Dell computers for Linux any more.
We certainly don't bother buying our Linux support from them any longer
but go directly to RedHat for it.   Unfortunately we still have to deal
with their non-support for the original Dell RedHat servers we installed
until that (non)support expires.