[ale] Q: How to set up manual dialup in SuSE-10.2

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Fri Dec 29 18:46:08 EST 2006

ALErs -

I have a working SuSE-10.2 on a Dell laptop, but I'm having trouble
getting PPP dialup to work.

First, the YAST Network tool cautions that NetworkManager is enabled and
suggests my using kinternet instead. It does accept and apparently saves
configurations for my dialup ISPs, but I have no idea how to make it dial
a connection and set up the routing using NetworkManager.

Error messages suggest it's unable to connect to smpppd. NetworkManager,
NetworkManagerDispatcher, and smpppd all seem to be running.

So, I captured a copy of the kinternet RPM for openSuSE-10.2 and installed
it. With or without NetworkManager enabled, kinternet logs a pppd option
error, but I have no idea which error or how to debug it.

The system works fine on ethernet, which suggests the underlying ipc
mechanisms are OK -- just no luck attaching by phone.

TIA for any suggestions on sorting this out.

 - John Mills