[ale] computer controlled power switches

Matt Kubilus mattkubilus at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 10:17:58 EST 2006

Not quite.  I think it solves his problem.  He wants a computer
controlled solution so there is a computer in the equation.

With a NC relay, the connection would stay closed (on) unless a signal
is sent from the PC.  So to reset the modem, both the PC would have to
be on, and a signal would have to be sent from the PC.  So the modem
would still function if the PC did not.  The converse would be true
for the NO relay.

The circuit could be imporved for another 15 cents or so, by placing a
resistor in line with a capacitor to slow the sensitivity to the relay
on the signal side.

Hardware hacking sure is fun.  I wondering when I'm going to build that robot.

-MJK

On 12/29/06, Christopher Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-12-28 at 16:47 -0500, Matt Kubilus wrote:
> > It depends on the type of relay you get.  A normally-open (NO) relay
> > will leave the output connection open unless it recieves and input
> > signal.  A normally-closed (NC) relay would leave the connection
> > closed unless it has a signal.
> >

> I think you're still screwed.
>
> With a NC and the computer off the printer or device will turn on
> With a NO and the computer off the printer or device will turn off
>
> It really depends on the application of the idea but in his case he
> wants to control a modem and if it is anything like my network I want
> that modem controlled independently of my desktop.  With this idea you
> don't get that luxury.  You really need something more intelligent that
> can remember state.

Don't be a pioneeer.  A pioneer is the guy with the arrow through his
chest.  -- John J. Rakos