[ale] computer controlled power switches

Matt Kubilus mattkubilus at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 16:30:49 EST 2006

oooh let me suggest the cheapskate solution.  Buy a DC/AC relay from
radio shack.  Connect the DC side to the parport on you PC, The other
side to AC.  Just like installing a light switch.

Relay should have ~3vdc in, 110vAC out.  Should cost less than $10.

-MJK

On 12/28/06, John Mills <johnmills at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> Hi again -
>
> At work I have a test setup I sometimes reboot from off-site. The power is
> switched by a gadget called an 'iBoot'. Same idea as the X-10, except it's
> ethernet connected to the computer rather than wireless (and more
> expen$ive). A colleague wrote 'C' apps to turn power on, off, and cycle
> once off, then back on. I call them manually _via_ simple scripts. I found
> 'iBoot' on the web, so have another Google. They do look solid.
>
>  - Mills
>
> On Thu, 28 Dec 2006, Dan Lambert wrote:
>
> > APC makes a Rack Power Distribution Unit that is switched and metered.
> > It would allow him to switch individual receptacles on the RPDU from a
> > remote location. They are used in data centers to allow remote control
> > of reboots and such.
> >
> > I can't tell you the cost, but they are available in a huge variety of
> > counts per RPDU, and in all the various voltage and amperages required
> > for modern data equipment worldwide.

Don't be a pioneeer.  A pioneer is the guy with the arrow through his
chest.  -- John J. Rakos