[ale] computer controlled power switches

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Thu Dec 28 14:37:13 EST 2006

We don't have remote power resets but do have remote consoles (KVM) from
Raritan which has a web interface.  We can at least do "ctrl-alt-del"
via this over our VPN which lets us do the reboot 95% of the time.  On
rare occasion the system is hosed enough to require power cycle but it
is so rare on our Linux systems that I'd probably have a hard time
convincing my boss to buy it.  Console access however happens often
enough (e.g. for controlled reboots) that the Raritan setup has been
quite handy.  Of course we use this in the office as well to prevent
need for display with every server.