[ale] Encryprted External Modems

Bob Toxen transam at verysecurelinux.com
Thu Dec 21 11:05:16 EST 2006

Wired phone lines rarely are tapped and it is a Federal felony (unless
the Guvment does it).

Encryption is your friend.

Even Windoze supports IPSec and SSH (PuTTY for SSH as someone else
already mentioned).

If it's only Windoze at one facility, put a Linux box in there with a
modem that they can connect to via modem. within this physically secure
environment.  Then, have that Linux box connect to the server Linux box
via SSH or IPSec.

Bob Toxen
Just back from an on-site security project in Ireland
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]

"Microsoft: Unsafe at any clock speed!"
   -- Bob Toxen 10/03/2002