[ale] MORE re: Media/Quicktime players...

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 12:07:54 EST 2006

Courtney Thomas wrote:
> Thanks to all for the typically great advice.
>
> How should all this be setup so as to enable click-starting videos
> w/audio, under FireFox2  ?

hmm, haven't tried FireFox2 yet.  but maybe this will help.

(this is Debian centric so YMMV)

apt-get install mozilla-mplayer
apt-get install mplayerplug-in

this will allow firefox and other mozilla to view videos, etc in the
browser.

(basically you want mplayerplug-in.so and mplayerplug-in.xpt in your
~/.mozilla/plugins folder)

Firefox 2.0 uses mozplugger-helper to call mplayer from my understanding.

----

(this is not debian specific)

if that doesn't work then do this:

(http://developer.skolelinux.no/dokumentasjon/newdriftbok/newdriftbok.html.en#AEN3732)

The plugin is called mplayerplug-in and can be downloaded from
mplayerplug-in. After you have downloaded the file, then you have to
unpack it and compile it yourself. This is all explained on the webpage
but I will repeat it here.

tar -xzvf mplayerplug-in-1.2.tar.gz
cd mplayerplug-in
./configure
make
cp mplayerplug-in.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
After that, you must restart Mozilla.

In the event that the version of mplayerplug-in is NOT 1.2, but a
different number, then you must use that number instead of 1.2.

----
take a look here for mozilla/mplayer plugins:

http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/linux.html#mplayer
http://mplayerplug-in.sourceforge.net/