[ale] (no subject)

jbayes at spoo.mminternet.com jbayes at spoo.mminternet.com
Mon Dec 18 21:05:42 EST 2006

From:  <jbayes at spoo.mminternet.com>
To: ale at ale.org
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 18:05:39 -0800
To: ale at ale.org
Subject: .forward is being ignored

Hi folks,

For several years now I have used a ~/.forward file to invoke procmail
to handle my incoming mail. When I installed Fedora 6, however,
postfix started ignoring my .forward file and instead delivers all my
mail to /var/mail/jbayes.

I don't think that this is a procmail problem, as my procmail log file
shows no changes, and changing my .forward to point to my gmail
account results in the mail still being delivered to
/var/mail/jbayes.

The only thing I can think of is that there were some errors during
the install of FC6 that might have horked things up. (The install hung
up several times, and I finally got it to install all the way by
selecting a very minimal set of packages and then, once the system was
up and running, installing the rest.) But I don't see how that could
cause postfix to screw up .forward files.

spoo:~$ ls -l ~/.forward
-rw-rw-r-- 1 jbayes jbayes 19 Dec 18 14:50 /home/jbayes/.forward
spoo:~$ cat ~/.forward
|/usr/bin/procmail
spoo:~$ rpm -q postfix procmail
postfix-2.3.3-2
procmail-3.22-17.1
spoo:~$

Exerpt from maillog, showing a botched mail delivery. The "delivered
to mailbox" line should be "delivered to command: /usr/bin/procmail".

Dec 18 14:51:52 spoo postfix/pickup[15821]: 30B3E2EDE8: uid=500 from=<jbayes>
Dec 18 14:51:52 spoo postfix/cleanup[15877]: 30B3E2EDE8: message-id=<20061218225152.30B3E2EDE8 at spoo.mminternet.com>
Dec 18 14:51:52 spoo postfix/qmgr[15822]: 30B3E2EDE8: from=<jbayes at spoo.mminternet.com>, size=436, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Dec 18 14:51:52 spoo postfix/local[15879]: 30B3E2EDE8: to=<jbayes at spoo.mminternet.com>, orig_to=<jbayes>, relay=local, delay=0.53, delays=0.31/0.16/0/0.06, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered to mailbox)
Dec 18 14:51:52 spoo postfix/qmgr[15822]: 30B3E2EDE8: removed

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Joe

p.s. I can actually get my maillog to report the mail as being
delivered to procmail by setting
mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail
in /etc/postfix/main.cf ...but mail still gets delivered to
/var/mail/jbayes unsorted. I suspect that this is a different
problem from whatever is causing my .forward to be ignored, though.

Joe Bayes -- jbayes at spoo.mminternet.com