[ale] SHA1SUM question

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 17:21:43 EST 2006

Jerry,

That is typically what rsync is used for.  ie. Efficiently making 2
files the same that start out close to being the same but having
random differences in the middle somewhere..

Let's say you have redundant webservers handling different parts of
the world and a R&D webserver you work on.  From the webservers you
are distributing some big files / pdfs / etc.

You would work on the R&D server until your happy with your big files,
then use rsync to update the production sites.

rsync takes the big files and breaks them into chunks (I don't know
the chunk size).  For each chunk it calculates the md5 on both the
source and destination ends.  If they are the same it moves on to the
next chunk,  If they're different it breaks the chunks into smaller
chunks and compares those md5s.  It continues the process until it
finds the minimal amount of data that is different.  It then sends the
differing data from the source to the destination and replaces that
part of the file.  Then it continues the process until the 2 files are
in "sync".

I think it is also smart enough to look for data insertions, but I'm
not sure about that.

As you can see the main purpose of rsync is to synchronize large files
that are on opposite ends of a slow data connection.

Obviously rsync can also handle small files too, but all the chunk
logic is wasted in that situation.

Greg

Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group