[ale] VT-100-220-320 docs, anyone?

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Wed Dec 6 15:16:16 EST 2006

cfowler said:
> Also there is a book with all the terminal RFC's.
>
> Termcap is a great place to start.  It baiscally tells the system what
> escape characters to send to make the terminal behave in certain ways.
>
> The way I've understood it was that VT100 was the base and 220 and 320
> built ontop of that base.

But term cap only tells me things like backspace or linedown, etc, right?
The problem I'm specifically trying to fight is a scroll-like control in a
ncurses based application (looks kinda like a scrollable table). When our
terminal responds to ESC [ 2L it corrupts the display...shifting the
entire terminal screen down by two lines. I think the actual behavior
desired is to shift down only that data contained within that scrollable
container...making it appear as if it's scrolling.

I have the book you describe. It's less than helpful, although it's home
currently and I can't open it up to refer to, but if I recall it doesn't
contain any RFC that says "here are the escape sequences that a VT100
compliant terminal should respond to, and here is the desired behavior
given that sequence".

That is what I'm looking for. Without it, the termcap files can be a
little vague, as in above.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

John