[ale] software modems

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 17:09:25 EST 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 09:48 -0500, H. A. Story wrote:

> Good Luck,
> I tried to do a month ago.  Ubuntu has some links and you have to
> research the modem chip set that you have.  I was not lucky enough to
> come across the right free modems.  If you do have the right modem you
> will still need to some unusual downloading with Ubuntu.   There is also
> a utility, I forgot the link, you can download that and it will give you
> all the info you need about the modem installed in the system without
> having to crack it open.
>
> Really sad that almost all internal modems are now win-modems.  I don't
> know about USB Modems.  Serial ports are disappearing from systems these
> days and it will not be long before someone wonders what RS232 was.

I can't speak for "real" USB modems, but the USB modems that I have used
are detected as a serial device by the kernel and can be talked to with
the Hayes AT command set just fine.  The one that I remember right off
hand trying out was the USB modem contained within the Samsung SPH-A920.

    -- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
   Jabber IM: fd0man at livejournal.com

Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!