[ale] Internet access under Linux

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Thu Aug 31 10:05:22 EDT 2006

The problem started with the FCC not requiring Incumbent Local Exchange
Carriers (ILECs) like BellSouth to separate into different unrelated
entities.  They mandated Competitive Local Exchange Carriers (CLECs) and
told the ILECs they had to allow for the traffic at a fee.  Since they
didn't split the part of the ILEC business that competes with the CLECs
then it means the ILEC can play all sorts of games.  Lock the CLECs out
of central offices.  Take longer to fix issues affecting the CLECs
customers than their own etc...

If they had followed a model like Georgia did when making the Gas
Company split into two entities perhaps we'd see a better service model
because then ALL the CLECs (of which the split BS entity would be one)
would complain about the carrier entity and thereby get better action at
the FCC.  Right now its more of a nuisance - most people continue to use
BS so the CLECs don't really have a lot of muscle.