[ale] Internet access under Linux

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Thu Aug 31 09:00:22 EDT 2006

Christopher Fowler wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 18:55 -0700, Ken Arromdee wrote:
>> Right now I'm using dialup.  It's about time to move on.  What DSL or other
>> types of providers are good for Linux users?  (I really would rather not
>> have someone come to my home to install and refuse to do so unless I have a
>> Windows machine up, refuse to accept problem reports that aren't on Windows
>> machines, require Windows-only hardware, etc.)  Are there any providers in
>> the Norcross area anyone can recommend?
>
> Rules out BellSouth....
>
> Try SpeedFactory.

I've used bellsouth without issue for several years.  I only remember
not having service twice, once it was due to some work a couple miles up
the street, they were replacing some sort of telco-box. Someone
introduced it to the front of their car.  :(
I hear a lot about tech-support issues, but really if your link is up
how much technical support can they really give?  My dsl modem does
basic routing, dhcp serving.  Anything I've connected just works, macs,
windows, linux, bsd, etc.  Even with fixed ip addresses no issues.  I
even ran a couple servers for a short while, though not available to the
general public.  I guess the question is, why the hate for bellsouth.
Well besides the jacking of other dsl providers.

Calvin...