[ale] [Fwd: James Gosling will be speaking at the Sept. AJUG meeting]

Danny Cox DCox at icc.net
Wed Aug 30 10:56:04 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 10:11 -0400, Step wrote:
> You've hit on a big problem: how the heck do newbies know where to get
> good code examples?  The only relatively safe approach I can think of
> is to buy expensive books, but even that doesn't approach a guarantee.
> The other option is to hang out in IRC or sitepoint.com or something
> and ask people, but then the person who doesn't know any better has to
> wade through people's opinions and try to make a decision on something
> they're not qualified to understand....ah well, so much for the
> information age.  ;)

	I still heartily recommend "The Elements of Programming Style" by
Kernighan and Plauger.  It's old, only uses FORTRAN and PL/1 for it's
examples, but its "rules" still apply.

	The funny thing to me is: all the examples they use were taken from
textbooks of the time.

--
Daniel S. Cox
Internet Commerce Corporation