[ale] SW RAID install problem - can't find root on raid at boot time

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Tue Aug 29 21:40:25 EDT 2006

Danny -

That HOWTO you cited appears to apply to the 2.4-era raidtools, which
have since been supplanted by mdadm.

On the other hand, if you look at the doc I linked to in the original
message (http://tinyurl.com/mauwd), specifically that grub.conf example
that looks like

    title=Gentoo
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/kernel root=/dev/md3

you can see that they're doing nothing of the sort - just using /dev/mdX
as the root device.

*My* grub.conf looks like this in its entirety:

    default 0
    timeout 10

    title Virtual Hosting Platform (default): Xen 3.0.2 /
    vmlinuz-2.6.16.26-xen-dom0
    root   (hd0,0)
    kernel /xen.gz dom0_mem=256M
    module /vmlinuz-2.6.16.26-xen-dom0 root=/dev/md1

    title Normal Non-Xen kernel (maintenance/emergency):
    kernel-2.6.17-gentoo-r4
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.17-gentoo-r4 root=/dev/md1

You can see that the first entry is meant to bring up the Xen dom0.  The
other one is a straight kernel, identically configured in the ways that
count.