[ale] OT: Editing a DVD

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Aug 29 12:48:26 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-29 at 09:39 -0400, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> I'm having such a hard time trying to figure out how to edit a DVD.  All
> the video formats are getting confusing and it seems like any Windows
> program I try does not seem to support reading the video from the DVD.
>
> On Linux I wanted to try Kino but all the dependencies made it almost
> impossible to get compiled.
>
> Here is what I'm trying to do.
>
> 1.  Record Survivorman onto a DVD+RW using
>     a DVD+R/RW set top record
> 2.  Edit video to remove commercials and
>     make sure the beginning is the start of
>     the show and the end is the credits.
> 3.  Create a DVD-R with the edited video.
>

> I've got step 1 done.  I tried Pinnacle Studio 9 which I use
> to create DVDs from my video camera but it has no clue
> how to read a VOB file on a DVD.  Strange thing is that it
> can create them but not read them?
>
> I really want to do this in Linux.  Any ideas on how I can?

use dvd::rip http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/ to extract the mpeg data from
the VOB files. Then you can use kino or cinelerra for the editing.
Playback within kino seems to have sound issues but the final file
sounds just fine. Cinelerra is a full-featured monster. It has some
stability issues on certain hardware but it can do everything imaginable
(and thus is overkill for simply removing the commercials).

As far as installing kino, the only way I made it work was to use yum (I
have Fedora systems). Cinelerra was equally challenging. I think I
installed with yum as well. For quite some time, I just downloaded their
binary tarball and ran it from a command-line launch.