[ale] setting up WP sandbox on Ubuntu...

Step random4444 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 20:36:13 EDT 2006

I should add that I do have XAMPP up and running, so I can go to
http://localhost successfully, and the status page says MySQL is activated,
along with PHP, Perl, CGI, and SSI.  I can go to the phpSQLiteAdmin, but
when I try to go to phpMyAdmin, Firefox wants to "open" or "save" the phtml
file, instead of loading the phpmyadmin interface.  I'm not sure whether or
how concerned about this to be, but the instructions I'm trying to follow (
http://www.straypackets.com/2006/08/20/how-to-locally-install-wordpress-on-your-ubuntu-machine/)
have me go through the command line to setup a database for WP.  I don't
mind doing things CLI anyways, as I can learn and it's much faster.

Basically I just want to mirror my blog locally, so I can fix / fidget with
the themes without breaking it for my readers (if I have any :P ).

I've been working on this for the last two days, so if anyone has any
pointers I'll be very thankful!