[ale] [please disregard former message] ^H or ^? shell problems

J. D. jdonline at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 18:50:40 EDT 2006

Hey all,

     I have an interactive perl script and sometimes when I run it remotely
and try to input data and need to backspace I end up with a ^H mostly
but sometimes ^?. So when it occurs I can not use backspace and it
is one key I can't do without yet. ;)
     I have found this is not a problem with the script because when
I type run cat by itself and press the backspace the same problem occurs.
I have found that stty erase ^H will apparently fix the problem but I would
like a safe method to do this globally that would work across the board.

What do you folks think?

Thanks,

J. D.