[ale] From DSL to Fiber

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Thu Aug 24 13:26:59 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 09:04 -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
> runman wrote:
> > I am moving and have fiber strung to my new house.  I am not going to use
> > BellSouth as my ISP provider but am either going to stay with Speedfactory
> > (instant contract renewal - ick !) or go with someone else (Speakeasy and
> > Atlantic Nexus are the front-runners here).  I have been told that BS has
> > limited my download speed to 1.5 and that I will need to punch another hole
> > in my house and run another pair of wires to a RJ45 jack (getting rid of
> > PPPOE is the only bright side to this ordeal).

> I was told that 1.5 is the max for fiber from BellSouth.  They sell
> higher speeds, but I'm not sure how they deal with that in a fiber area.

	Actually, I was under the impression that areas with IFITL (Integrated
Fiber In The Loop - Denis will correct me if I'm wrong here) are where
BS is offering their HIGHER speeds.  We can only get the 3 Mb here
because we are copper loop (no estimated time of delivery for the faster
service).  Newer areas with fiber qualify for the FastAccess DSL Xtreme
6.0 Mb service.  I know we can't get 6M service out here yet.

> Are you sure you'll be rid of pppoe?  Better check on that.  My
> mother-in-law is on fiber and still has pppoe negotiation.

	Anyone who thinks they are getting rid of PPPOE is deluding themselves.
Way back when, you might get DHCP on a copper loop but never on fiber.
Now, AFAICT, everything is PPPOE.  BellSouth requires it on their
accounts.  And, they ARE the loop carrier.  You have to have it in order
to route that link to any other provider, even if it's naked DSL, other
than BellSouth.  So, you're done, either way.  Either you are doing
PPPOE (DSL modem in bridge mode) or the modem is doing PPPOE for you
(DSL modem in managed/router/nat mode).  Either way, PPPOE is there on
the DSL link.  If you have multiple computers hung off your DSL modem
and you are fetching private address space addresses, I can guarantee
you that your modem is operating in managed mode and diddling with BS
using PPPOE.  The only difference is whether you are controlling it or
not.  Fact of life.  Deal...

> > Is this correct ?  While not crazy about this I am less crazy about paying
> > Speedfactory's service tech to do it for a small fortune.  While I know how
> > to put an RJ45 jack on Ethernet cable I am not too sure about fiber.
> >
> > And I am guessing my phones are all ok as they are ?
> >
> > As one can tell, I am totally ignorant of fiber and it's ramifications with
> > regards to home networks.  However I am certain there are many on this list
> > who are networking guru's with regards to fiber to the home.

> By the time it gets to your house, the signal is ethernet.  That is the
> way it is at my mother-in-laws.  All you should have to do is plug it
> into a router.

	Mike