[ale] From DSL to Fiber

runman runman at speedfactory.net
Wed Aug 23 22:04:49 EDT 2006

I am moving and have fiber strung to my new house.  I am not going to use
BellSouth as my ISP provider but am either going to stay with Speedfactory
(instant contract renewal - ick !) or go with someone else (Speakeasy and
Atlantic Nexus are the front-runners here).  I have been told that BS has
limited my download speed to 1.5 and that I will need to punch another hole
in my house and run another pair of wires to a RJ45 jack (getting rid of
PPPOE is the only bright side to this ordeal).

Is this correct ?  While not crazy about this I am less crazy about paying
Speedfactory's service tech to do it for a small fortune.  While I know how
to put an RJ45 jack on Ethernet cable I am not too sure about fiber.

And I am guessing my phones are all ok as they are ?

As one can tell, I am totally ignorant of fiber and it's ramifications with
regards to home networks.  However I am certain there are many on this list
who are networking guru's with regards to fiber to the home.

Thanks,

Greg