[ale] RHL9 crond doesn't read in new crontab entries

Jerry Yu jjj863 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 13:07:28 EDT 2006

download the vixie-cron-4.1.src.rpm for CentOS 4 and dug a bit more myself
1) cron.c : SIGHUP only calls log_close()
2) crontab.c: 'crontab -e' updates SPOOL_DIR's via utime() after
crontab file is changed for a user
3) cron.c calls load_database(cron_db) in database.c inside a big
while(TRUE) loop. load_database(cron_db) would attempt to  update
cron_db only if SPOOL_DIR's mtime different from the current cron_db.

so, it should have worked. hmmm...