[ale] RHL9 crond doesn't read in new crontab entries

Chris Ricker kaboom at oobleck.net
Tue Aug 22 08:38:13 EDT 2006

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006, Jerry Yu wrote:

> Benjie I went down the path of troubleshooting the shell script, to no
> avail.  After I restarted crond,  it starts to kick.
> Richard, I'd be really surprised that you could re-produce it.  I was
> merely curious if anyone is ever as lucky as I was to actually run
> into it.

You're not the only one

I've seen similar on both Linux and on Solaris. Usually, it was either
because of a weird interaction with a naming service or because of nscd
(if you use nscd, start it before cron and never restart it without also
restarting cron)

One of the other Unix admins here is paranoid enough about this that he
*always* restarts the cron daemon after editing any root crontab ;-)

later,
chris