[ale] decoding MS Word docs inline in browser?

Steven A. DuChene linux-clusters at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 17 21:32:43 EDT 2006

Appearently there is a couple of libraries that allow the viewing or conversion
of MS Word docs to various formats. Including HTML. This got me thinking.
I hate having to fire up openoffice to look at some one page or so MS
Word doc attachement. Why isn't it possible to use these with Firefox or
other Linux based browsers to do inline conversion of MS Word docs if
I choose rather than firing them off to a full instance of openoffice?

In many cases I would find that SOOO much more convenient.

BTW, these libraries are wvware and libwmf from sourceforge and according
to the docs there these libs are actively used and developed in Abiword for
MS Word doc conversions.