[ale] cpuinfo data

Chris Egolf cegolf at ugholf.net
Fri Aug 4 12:52:09 EDT 2006

James P. Kinney III wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 17:32 -0500, Denny Chambers wrote:
>> Is this a laptop cpu? Mobile CPU's (and possible some green Desktop
>> CPU's) have stepping technology, where they will step down the CPU speed
>> to save power (battery).
>
> Not a laptop. This is a 2U server. There are two. One with dual core
> Opteron supposedly at 2.6GHz but cpuinfo says is a 1.8GHz and the other
> is a dual core Xeon that both cpuinfo and bios says is 2.6 GHz.
>
> Both are running Fedora Core 5 x86_64.

Make sure you aren't running cpuspeed if you want it to run at full
speed all the time.  I've run into this on a variety of AMD 64 bit
processors, but only running x86_64 flavors of Fedora Core.

# chkconfig --list cpuspeed
cpuspeed        0:off   1:on    2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

# chkconfig --level 12345 cpuspeed off