[ale] Opinions of Arch Linux?

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 4 12:14:58 EDT 2006

Christopher Fowler wrote:
> To me Ubuntu is for the new Linux users or converts and they need
> a positive first experience.  It is not for me.

Chris,

Let me help change your perception.  Ubuntu is Debian under the covers,
and no newbie would every get very far with Debian.  Ubuntu just uses
the latest versions of applications/drivers making Debian work better.
For instance, I am running servers with Ubuntu Server, a nice clean
install.   These are in essence up-to-date modern Debian systems with
kernel module support for newer hardware whereas Debian Sarge fails
miserably with hardware (USB/RAID/GigE) less than 3 years old.

-Jim P.