[ale] kubuntu wireless

Brian Pitts sciurus at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 12:45:06 EDT 2006

Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts wrote:
> well, my wife started ...using my desktop when I am home( that's what
> happens when you are both out of work..)
> so I was trying to use my Kubuntu with wireless. It SEEMED to make a
> connection to my wireless adaptor, using eth1, but route shows
> nothing, no gateway...
> do I need to stop eth0 ? I need to get a route to my router,
> 192.168.10.1 but it always says unreachable.
> help?
> I tried using the wifi-helper, and it says it created the connection
> and is using it, but ifconfig shows no IP, and route shows no routes.
Are you trying something like

sudo ifconfig eth1 down
sudo iwconfig eth1 essid any
sudo ifconfig eth1 up
sudo dhclient eth1

? This assumes you are using DHCP and aren't using encryption. You can
replace any with your router's broadcast id. If you need encryption, I
find it easiest to just install NetworkManager.

-Brian