[ale] Performance Problems

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 15:57:24 EDT 2006

On Sun April 30 2006 11:10, Vikram Nanda wrote:
> My system has been having 2 performance problems -
>
> 1) Save as --> The application ( Firefox 1.5) just hangs for about 30-40
> sec as soon as the save as window appears.

[snip the printing problem]

I'm not sure about the printing problem, though I know that there are times
when I send photos or high-resolution graphics to my printer it can take
some time, but regular text, or most web pages, e-mail or whatever,
typically prints just fine.

However, I've been running into problems with Firefox myself lately, where
it seems to be bogging my system down.  I don't know why.  But, it tends to
happen when I have lots of tabs open, or when I'm using my web developer
extensions for it.  Even after stripping it of its extensions, it tries to
use nearly 100% of my CPU, and I quickly grew sick of that.  I'm now using
Konqueror and it's working just fine, not hogging my processor time, and
being quite happy.

I don't know what the problem with Firefox is, or why it's being such a
pain, but frankly, I don't care, either.  I just want something that will
get the job done so that I can be useful in my classes and such.  Firefox
used to be it, but I'm afraid it isn't any longer.  :(

	- Mike