[ale] XDM

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Apr 29 15:17:48 EDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-29 at 14:03 -0400, Dow_Hurst wrote:
> Under IRIX xdm xdmpc login notice messages were directed to syslog.  You should be able to redirect them there specifically under Linux if you want via the daemon facility if it isn't already setup that way.  Kdm logs to /var/log/kdm.log or where you want by specifying at its startup with a parameter.  When you use xdmpc you should see normal login messages in syslog from login logging it's own messages.
> Dow

OK. I still can't do want I want so I'll hack a new way.  I have a thin
client that support XDM, shells, Netscape and has local parallel and usb
ports. I need to be able to push a print job to the thin client from  a
server on the Internet. XDM is really too insecure for this (but it's
way cool to get a desktop that way :)

The app needs to be able to print to a know printer and the the TC's
support passthru lpd of RAW data. I control the printers so I can spec
ones that do the job.

What I'm looking at now is using the Netscape  to hit a web page so I
know which machine and IP address, the script uses that data to edit the
print server's /etc/hosts file to point to the correct machine, the
lpd/cups knows the printer by the client name which is updated in the
hosts file, the TC firewall has an "allow lpd from server address and
route to TC address".

http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>