[ale] Daylight Savings Time

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 03:34:30 EDT 2006

On Thu April 27 2006 02:42, aaron wrote:

> > Does the system wait for a reboot to adjust?
>
> My experience was that YES, it did require a reboot for the Time Zone
> settings to take effect, which is one of the things that helped keep me
> from solving this time puzzle when it was first called to my attention.

I can say that I've altered my system's perception of the time without
rebooting.  An example (and hopefully, I don't mess anything up doing
this):

root at cinnamon:/etc# date
Thu Apr 27 03:29:31 EDT 2006
root at cinnamon:/etc# mv localtime localtime.orig
root at cinnamon:/etc# date
Thu Apr 27 07:29:39 UTC 2006
root at cinnamon:/etc# ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/Turkey localtime
root at cinnamon:/etc# date
Thu Apr 27 10:30:09 EEST 2006
root at cinnamon:/etc# rm localtime
root at cinnamon:/etc# date
Thu Apr 27 07:30:26 UTC 2006
root at cinnamon:/etc# mv localtime.orig localtime
root at cinnamon:/etc# date
Thu Apr 27 03:30:33 EDT 2006
root at cinnamon:/etc#

The system's perception of the date changes with each time the file is
swapped out.  Some things like KDE didn't pick up on the changes right
away, but a restart of the window manager would certainly fix that.

In any event, if you go to single-user, all processes should be aware of the
new timezone in effect, if you decide to change the zone.

Interestingly enough, it seems that the New_York timezone (the one that I
generally use since it makes the flip between EST and EDT as necessary)
seems to have more data in it then the EST5EDT zone, which I thought was
the right one to use.  Any idea why it seemingly has two extra zones (EWT
and EPT)?

	- Mike