[ale] Daylight Savings Time

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 17:22:14 EDT 2006

On Wed April 26 2006 12:31, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 12:28 -0400, William Bagwell wrote:
> > 2:00 A.M. and though I missed it this most recent go round, I have
> > watched
> > it change quite a few times. I was a bit of a night owl even before
> > taking
> > a third shift job:)
>
> Then why did 2 of my servers never change?  Maybe I have something
> configured incorrectly?

Yes... the BIOS (hardware clock) should be set to GMT (also called UTC, or
Zulu).

In turn, the Linux system should be using EST5EDT for the timezone.  By
using EDT as the timezone, you're essentially forcing the system to stay
that way all year round.  The separate EST and EDT zones are for people
whose computers are in areas where the time does *not* change; there are
some areas in the country that do not honor DST and stay with either
standard or DST all year 'round. (Think some portions of Indiana, and IIRC,
Arizona).

	- Mike