[ale] Fully functional desktop [Was: Greetings and introduction]

Barlow, Jim D jim.d.barlow at intel.com
Thu Apr 20 23:19:55 EDT 2006

Greg,

The extent of the mother board support required is just the firmware flag for turning VT on.   You'll just need to verify that there is a BIOS with the capability for your motherboard.   Since VT version one does not allow physical I/O to be dedicated to a VM, there is no "chipset" support needed -- other than that BIOS capability.

As an example, VT support claim was not allowed for the Paxville MP that had the transistors  until the BIOS revisions were out (Q4 '05) and Xen 3.0 and/or VMWare Server was out with support for the feature. It is required that a "stack" be available to claim VT support.   That is why the footnote is so long.

- Jim

--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group