[ale] Ale Digest, Vol 90, Issue 6

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Thu Apr 20 08:20:43 EDT 2006

Don't know if was answered properly -

get a second drive. drop it in. Try some different distros - fedora,
OpenSuse, ubuntu, others (those are the ones I've played with most)

It's a bit like Baskin and Robbins. Take a taste first. Sure, it puts
things off for a bit but you'll have fun exploring and finding what
works and what doesn't. Some distros are very easy to install and some
offer much more customization. See where you are comfortable. My then 12
yr old son had no trouble with Ubuntu but I wouldn't drop Gentoo on him.
OTOH, a geeky nephew loved Gentoo.

See if you like KDE or prefer GNOME (desktop managers) or even if you
want another one. Is it easier to use yum, apt or YAST (update
"managers")? Again, it's like browsing and taking a taste or sample. It
seems different than the Win world because you have choices.There isn't
a single answer.

I don't think you need to invest anymore in retail distros. There's too
much good available (unless you have bandwidth issues). I did get my
start with a retail distro, SuSE, but that was a couple of years ago and
you don't need to do that anymore, IMHO.

If you are looking for hard-core gaming and an XBox 360 won't do it for
you, the newest titles will still be Win - so keep a partition for
those. For everyday life, emailing, browsing, listening to music, the
penguin will do just fine.

regards,
William