[ale] Teh Slashdots?

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 19 16:20:19 EDT 2006

Steve Brown wrote:
> On Thursday 13 April 2006 08:58 am, Geoffrey wrote:
> [snip]
>  >Slightly less than 4 years, so it naturally was new to me too. >Funny but
>  >less than a week later I see it on /.
> http://linux.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=183505&cid=15156699
> <http://linux.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=183505&cid=15156699>
>  >
>  >Wonder if he is one of us?
>  >--
>  >William
>
> You guys post on teh Slashdots alot? What are your handles/nicks? Mine's
> Braino420, if anyone cares :)

I use jimpop when posting (rarely) there.  Slashdot is for amusement
these days, sadly.

 From the link above there is this quote:
    "I'm not ragging you for this or anything, I'm just amazed
     at how few people actually read man's man page"

I too am amazed at how many people read man pages, or google for what
they need (however I can be guilty of not following that rule too).

These days "man" isn't the ultimate source of information that it was 10
years ago.  Now a days you have "man" and "info", and sometimes those
pages just point you to http://www.whatever.com/blah/list/faq.html.
Worse is when the man pages are out of date or missing new command line
options.

Don't even get me started on the lack of source code releases using
common files like README and CHANGES.  Now you have to look for FAQ,
INFO, BUGS, Recent-Changes.txt, FAQ.linux, FAQ.aix, etc.  Oh and there
might only be README.html (or is it ReadMe.htm, or Readme.txt,
Read-me.html, etc.?)  There is no standard and therefore everyone does
it differently.... same for "man".

-Jim P.