[ale] SSL Certs for $14.95

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Apr 19 14:20:26 EDT 2006

Just get any domain relevant to the business end, sign up for it using
the business name that will be getting the ssl cert and have it pointed
to the IP address. It doesn't _have_ to be a full domain. It could be
sub-domain/host name. As long as the domain lookup for the host will
generate the business name and address used in the ssl application, that
will provide the needed linking for "authentication".

Let's say you have the domain "outpostsentinal.com". Create a host named
sslserver.outpostsentinel.com and set the DNS record to point to
209.168.246.232. That will create a "chain of authentication" from the
IP address back to the business name in the whois record for
outpostsentinel.com. That business name is used in the cert request as
the (O) field and the (DN) field is the IP address.