[ale] SSL Certs for $14.95

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Apr 19 10:24:09 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 09:36 -0400, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> James,
>
> I've not got a CERT before but with this $14.95 service that ahs been
> mentioned I am looking at going ahead and doing it.
>
> Could you please tell me how you went about creating the request and
> getting the cert for your DN name that is an IP.  I want to begin the
> process for my server.

The last one I did like this was a more expensive Thawte cert. Basically
follow the directions on Thawte (or any other provider) for creating a
cert request for Apache w/mod_ssl (Unless you are using something else.)
The only real "gotcha" I can think of is you will need to have a domain
name that _does_ point to that IP address and that domain name ownership
data is used to validate "ownership" of the IP address. For instance: my
domain name localnetsolutions.com is pointed to 216.27.162.82. If I
request a cert for that IP address, I would use the domain name
localnetsolutions.com for the organization as that will resolve to the
IP address listed as the DN.

When you create the cert request, use the IP address for the DN. In the
apache setup, use the IP address for the ServerName param. Be sure to
use the IP address for all the page links and then it all works just
fine.

http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>