[ale] [Gimp-user] printing landscape on 3x5 cards

Jim Philips briarpatchkid at bellsouth.net
Tue Apr 18 22:22:20 EDT 2006

On Tuesday 18 April 2006 09:56, Geoffrey wrote:
> Jim Philips wrote:

> >> One thing I recall about the GIMP is that it wants a non compressed ppd
> >> file.  What I've had to do is go to the directory where they exist and
> >> unpack the file there.  Make sure you retain the gunzipped version
> >> though because other applications look for it.  For example, for my
> >> Minolta laser I have the following ppd files:
> >>
> >> /usr/share/cups/model/Minolta-magicolor_2300_DL.ppd
> >> /usr/share/cups/model/Minolta-magicolor_2300_DL.ppd.gz
> >>
> >> You set this in the setup printer dialog of GIMP David has mentioned.
> >
> > OK. I found the .ppd file and created an unzipped version. It made no
> > difference.
>
> What distro is this?  Did you use the setup printer option in gimp to
> make sure it's pointed to the proper ppd file?

This is Slackware current. I went through the printer setup and pointed to
the .ppd file. It makes no difference in the output. The description of the
problem I found indicates a conflict between CUPS way of defining landscape
orientation and Ghostscript's way of defining it. I can modify the raw
Postscript after saving the file as Postscript. And this offers some slight
gain...but it still doesn't print my image properly. Anyway, this doesn't
appear to be a Gimp issue. I believe I could reproduce the problem with any
Linux app where CUPS and Ghostscript are handling the printing.