[ale] Python in FC4

Pete Hardie pete.hardie at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 16:51:03 EDT 2006

On 4/11/06, Joe Knapka <jknapka at kneuro.net> wrote:
> Pete Hardie wrote:
>
> >As part 2 of the ongoing saga of my FC 4 install continues, I'm having
> >trouble getting Python to find Tkinter on the box.  rpm -qa shows
> >tkinter installed, but I can't get the Python installation to see it.
> >Googling doesn't reveal a simple answer in the limited amount of
> >keywords I can believe relevant.
> >

> How are you determining whether tkinter is found?
>
> For a while I was convinced that tkinter was not installed
> by default on MacOSX (though Python *is* present when
> you get the machine from Apple).  I tried "import tkinter"
> and "import TkInter", no joy, gave up for a while since
> I didn't really need to do Python on the Mac anyway.
> Turns out the magic is "import Tkinter"....

I was using the instructions found at www.python.org regarding Tkinter/_tkinter.

I resolved the problme by downloading and installing Tck and Tk from
source, since the problem was appearing to be more *where" FC4 put
_tkinter then *did* put _tkinter.

The source build works, so I'm happy for now, but peeved that it's not
'out-of-the-box' workable.

--
Better Living Through Bitmaps