[ale] Offering services over PPP

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Tue Apr 11 10:24:46 EDT 2006

Charles -

Thanks for pitching in.

The PPP is a cell-phone dialup. It is "usually ON", but intermittently
stopped and restarted. Dynamic IP issues aren't the immediate problem.

Routing from the device uses local ethernet for a specified subnet and PPP
as the default. This works for outbound and inbound traffic. Inbound
connections from PPP also work fine for 'ftp' and 'telnet', but I can't
open the web server that way. Therefore I suppose I have a server
configuration issue.

I didn't set up the Apache configuration and wondered if there was a
setting as to which interfaces it would serve, or some similar setting.

Firewall hasn't been set up yet, but I expect to do so.

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006, Charles Shapiro wrote:

> Are you actually trying to, like, make a dial-up server?

No - just to offer web pages over the established PPP link.

> Seems like the only way firewall configuration would be an issue is if
> you're actually running ipchains or ipfw on the box itself, which you said
> you're not. If you're sure of your ppp connection, you might want to
> experiment with the "listen" directive in httpd.conf. What happens if you
> explicitly set it to the ip address of the ppp connection? Will it respond
> then?

I'll try this out. This sounds like the kind of setting I was looking for.

Thanks.

 - Mills