[ale] Cat-5 question

Sean Kilpatrick drifter at oppositelock.org
Mon Apr 10 11:16:50 EDT 2006

On Monday 10 April 2006 10:50, Christopher Fowler wrote:
| If you wire one end of the CAT-5 with 568B and the
| other end with 568A you end up with a cross-over cable

Chris,
  Several years ago I needed a cross-over cable and bought one.
I still have it and it is clearly marked so I won't use it when
I shouldn't.  But should I lose it and need another one, I assure
you from the bottom of my heart that I will NOT chop off the end
of a regular cable and try to wire the replacement plug as 568A to
create a new X-over cable. I will drive to the nearest computer store
and buy one. I classify wiring Cat-5 plugs alongside pumping out
septic tanks:  I have done both, know how to do both, and have absolutely
no desire to do either again. Ever.  :)

Seriously, I suspect that learning the manual dexterity necessary to get
those eight wires correctly inside a rj-45 connector is about like
learning to type.  I learned to type more than 45 years ago and am
reasonably proficient at it. I just see no need to become proficient at
wiring rj-45 plugs. I now believe that factory made cables are reasonably
priced -- downright cheap, in fact. :)

Sean