[ale] Cat-5 question

Sean Kilpatrick drifter at oppositelock.org
Sun Apr 9 15:49:04 EDT 2006

On Sunday 09 April 2006 14:59, Christopher Fowler wrote:
| Memorize 568B and 568A. ?
Arghhhh!!!!!!!

Not having a clue, I Googled and found this page:

http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/cable5.htm

I suppose that data is useful, but the cables I have here
at home do not use the same wiring pattern.
The standard for 568A would appear to be this:

Pin #       Color
 1          white/green stripe
 2          green
 3          white/orange stripe
 4          Blue
 5          white/blue stripe
 6          Orange
 7          white/brown stripe
 8          Brown

But all the cables I have looked at here at the house look like this:

 1         white/orange stripe
 2         orange
 3         white/blue stripe
 4         blue
 5         white/green stripe
 6         green
 7         white/brown stripe
 8         brown

Now I really don't think it matters a rat's ass what order is used
as long as both ends of the cable are identical.

Continuing to read the article I see where I have been making my
main mistake: I have been leaving the individual wires way too long
to allow me room to get them into the plug. I'll try again, this
time following the instructions.  I was wondering why the strain-
relief crimp wasn't doing anything.

Learn something new every day.  I just wish I didn't have to!

Sean